Get to Know Djungarian Hamsters
- Play during the night and rest during the day (nocturnal) but can adjust to your schedule.
- Can live up to 3 years with proper care.
- Herbivores, consuming high-quality hamster food, with grains, vegetables, fruits and hay.
Sold in stores only. Selection varies by store. Check your local store for availability.
Attributes / Specifications
Also known as DJ hamsters, Djungarian Hamsters are one of many dwarf hamster species. You can typically identify them by the distinguished dorsal stripe running down their back. These small hamsters stay about half the size of a Syrian hamster and are much more active. As with most dwarf hamsters, DJ's are very quick and require handling to tame or slow them down.
- Hamster teeth grow continuously throughout their life so they should be provided with chew sticks to prevent them from becoming over-grown.
- When not fast asleep, hamsters are active and energetic animals that love an exercise wheel or run-about ball.
- Djungarian hamsters are available in a few different fancy variations including different colors and a Sunfire Djungarian, which is a much less common bright orange coloration.
- Days to ShipShips Next Business Day
- Primary BrandPetco
Hamster teeth grow continuously throughout their life so they should be provided with chew sticks to prevent them from becoming over-grown.
Dwarf hamsters, like the djungarian hamsters, are popular pets as they are half the size as their Syrian cousins, and just as delightful. Their habitat can either be a glass aquarium with a tight fitting mesh lid or a hamster cage with an escape proof bottom. Like other rodents, djungarian hamster’s teeth continue to grow, so it is necessary to provide safe chew sticks and treats to prevent them from over-growing. Hamsters are mostly nocturnal and will be most active at night, so take into consideration as you pick an exercise wheel or their cage location.