Chinchilla (Chinchilla lanigera)
taking pet health & wellness to the next level
Petco is proud to be the first pet retailer certified by American Humane.
You May Also Like
Please note that the product information displayed is provided by manufacturers, suppliers and other third parties and is not independently verified by Petco.
Chinchillas have an inquisitive and gentle nature, but also have a lot of energy.
- - Chinchillas are very agile animals and can jump up to five feet in the air!
- - A chinchilla's fur is considered the softest in the world: 30 times softer than human hair! Chinchillas also have 50 or more hairs per follicle as opposed to humans, who only have one
- - Chinchillas have open-rooted teeth, which means they continue to grow throughout their lives. Because of this, make sure to provide plenty of chew toys for your pet
- - Dust baths are used for chinchillas to remove any oil or moisture from their thick fur; this will also help keep their fur soft. You should not bathe a chinchilla in water as this may cause them to lose their fur
- - Chinchillas can communicate with each other using barking, chirping and grunting noises along with squeals
- - When eating, chinchillas tend to sit on their haunches and use their front paws to hold food
- - Different types of small animals should not be housed together
Days to Ship
Item is not shippable
Pet Activity Time
Pet Max Length
A well-balanced Chinchilla diet consists of high-quality chinchilla pellets and limited amounts of vegetables and fruits. Provide Timothy hay at all times. A limited amount of vegetables and fruits can be given daily, but should not exceed 10% of their total diet. Vegetables and fruits not eaten within 24 hours should be discarded.
You May Also Like