includes mystery, inca, apple, nerite and rabbit snail species
The unique characteristics and wide variety of Freshwater Snails provide an appealing addition to your aquarium. Freshwater Snails feed on nuisance algae and are great for keeping your tank clean.
Freshwater Snails Facts
average adult size:
depends on species
average life span:
depends on species
minimum aquarium size:
5+ gallons, depending on species
A well-balanced Freshwater Snail diet consists of:
Typically feeds off algae and excessive food or debris in aquarium.
Can be supplemented with algae discs.
Things to remember when feeding your Freshwater Snail:
Feed daily or twice weekly, depending on species.
Keep in an appropriate size aquarium; a tight fitting lid is necessary, Snails can climb out of the tank. Snails need calcium to grow their shells and don't like soft water.
Stable water quality, water temperature, and pH levels are critical to the health of the invertebrate. If you are unsure of your water quality or pH levels, Petco provides free water testing.
Snails leave a slime trail as they move on their muscular foot.
Use of copper-based medications can be toxic to invertebrates.
Daily:check filter, water temperature and other equipment. Weekly:check water quality at least once a week. Monthly:change 10-25% of the total volume of water every 2-4 weeks, or as needed.
Introduce new inhabitants to the aquarium gradually.
Compatible with most freshwater fish. Do not keep with aggressive fish that may try to eat Snails.
Signs of a Healthy Invertebrate
Clean in appearance
Avoid overcrowded conditions; they are a major cause of stress and disease. Maintain good water quality with regular water changes and adequate filtration.
loss of color or appetite
spots or fungus on body or mouth
retreats into shell most of time
Common Health Issues
Symptoms or Causes
Health IssueLittle is known about diseases that affect invertebrates; as long as environmental conditions and food supplies are adequate, invertebrates are fairly resistant to disease.
Ask an associate about Petco's selection of books on Freshwater Snails and the variety of Petco Brand products available for the care and happiness of your new pet. All Petco Brand products carry a 100% money-back guarantee.
Because all aquatic life are potential carriers of infectious diseases, such as Salmonella, always wash your hands before and after handling your aquatic life and/or habitat contents to help prevent the potential spread of diseases.
Pregnant women, children under the age of 5 and people with weakened immune systems should contact their physician before purchasing and/or caring for aquatic life and should consider not having aquatic life as a pet.
Go to the Centers for Disease Control atcdc.gov/healthypets for more information about aquatic life and disease.
This care sheet can cover the needs of other species.
Note:The information on this Care Sheet is not a substitute for veterinary care. If you need additional information, please refer to the sources on the following page or contact your veterinarian as appropriate.
Developed with and approved by a qualified veterinarian.
Free Standard Shipping automatically applies to your qualifying minimum online purchase subtotal of $49. No promotion code necessary. Subtotal refers to amount of order before taxes and shipping. All Free Shipping is based on Standard Shipping rates.
Free Shipping Exclusions: Cat litter, dog litter, ice melter, wild bird food, live fish & rock, aquatic gravel and accents; crickets, live food and frozen food; out-of-stock items, Donations, Petco or Unleashed by Petco Gift Cards and eGift Cards; items shipped through white glove delivery or LTL delivery; orders exceeding the maximum weight limit of 300 lbs.; and applicable taxes. Additional exclusions may apply and will be noted on the Product Detail page and/or Shopping Cart.
Cat litter, dog litter, wild bird food, live & frozen food and oversized items may incur an additional per-item shipping & handling fee or surcharge. Additional fees may apply and will be noted on the Product Detail page and/or Shopping Cart.
Did you know? Repeat Delivery orders always ship free. Learn More
20% off your first Repeat Delivery order Terms & Conditions
- The 20% discount is valid only on first-time Repeat Delivery orders.
- Enter promo code: rdsave20 in your Shopping Cart. Promotion codes are case and character sensitive, please enter as shown here.
- The 20% discount automatically applies to your first-time, qualifying Repeat Delivery purchase subtotal. Subtotal refers to amount of order before taxes and shipping. Maximum discount amount is $20.
- Exclusions: Add-on items, out-of-stock items, Donations, Petco Gift Cards and eGift Cards; items shipped through white glove delivery or LTL delivery; orders exceeding the maximum weight limit of 300 lbs.; and applicable taxes. Additional exclusions may apply and will be noted on the Product Detail page and/or Shopping Cart.
- Petco.com charges applicable tax on all orders shipped to states in which Petco has a physical location.
- Promotion Code valid for one use per order.
- Promotion Code cannot be redistributed or used in combination with any other offer.
- Petco.com in its sole discretion may refuse to redeem any Promotion Code that it believes in good faith to be fraudulently or improperly obtained.