Long walks provide physical and mental stimulus, as your dog is able to explore and sniff out new smells while getting some exercise in there too. Sometimes though, it can be hard to say who’s walking whom! Dogs pull on the leash for many reasons, as they do not understand not to pull on the leash. Take the lead with a couple tips to keep everyone walking happy.
There are many different types of equipment recommended for strong pulling dogs; however these are used to manage the behavior until we can show the dog proper leash manners. We recommend the following equipment:
Use a front clip harness or a Head Halter (your dog must be conditioned to these first before using them).
If your dog has polite behaviors already, you can try a flat buckle collar or body harness.
Begin with a six-foot leash made of cotton or nylon.
Carry a variety of high value treats and plenty of pea sized yummy treats.
You'll need a pouch to hold all the yummy treats.
Training treats should be small, easily eaten and exciting for your dog (ones with a strong smell are our favorites).
Loose Leash Training
To encourage your dog to walk with you, start out standing still. Take a deep breath and just stand with your dog by your side. With some extra-stinky, high value treats in your left hand, reward your dog when they are close to you with the leash loose. They’ll start to associate a loose leash with getting their favorite snack and will learn that keeping the leash loose pays. When in doubt, stand still until your dog loosens the leash by coming back to you.
A lightweight buckle collar is great for puppies. Start by letting your dog drag the leash around the house for a few minutes to get used to the weight of the clip and leash. Be there to supervise so your dog doesn't get tangled in furniture and get scared.
Then try picking up the end of the leash and follow your puppy around—giving them treats to make it a fun game. Soon they'll be wagging their tail and ready for more. A five-minute session is just the right length of training time per day for a puppy.
Start early and build a good foundation of training.
When you are ready to actually lead your puppy, start with a pocket full of treats and take just a few steps backwards. Encourage them, crouching down if you need to. Stop and reward your dog regularly when they are by your side on a loose leash.
If your dog pulls out in front, just stop until they turn to see why you aren't following. Call your dog to you in a happy voice, praise for coming, and start walking a few steps again. Pretty soon your dog will figure out that lots of treats and praise come when they’re at your side. Practice two-three minutes per day.
Training for Adult Dogs
Consistency is the key. Enrolling in an interactive dog training class will give you a very good place to start, but you must take those lessons home to be truly effective. Just consider it doggie homework!
Keep training sessions upbeat and fun, with lots of rewards and 2-3 minutes long.
Remember that rewarding good behavior always creates better, quicker results than punishment based methods.
Free Standard Shipping automatically applies to your qualifying minimum online purchase subtotal of $49. No promotion code necessary. Subtotal refers to amount of order before taxes and shipping. All Free Shipping is based on Standard Shipping rates.
Free Shipping Exclusions: Cat litter, dog litter, ice melter, wild bird food, live fish & rock, aquatic gravel and accents; crickets, live food and frozen food; out-of-stock items, Donations, Petco or Unleashed by Petco Gift Cards and eGift Cards; items shipped through white glove delivery or LTL delivery; orders exceeding the maximum weight limit of 300 lbs.; and applicable taxes. Additional exclusions may apply and will be noted on the Product Detail page and/or Shopping Cart.
Cat litter, dog litter, wild bird food, live & frozen food and oversized items may incur an additional per-item shipping & handling fee or surcharge. Additional fees may apply and will be noted on the Product Detail page and/or Shopping Cart.
Did you know? Repeat Delivery orders always ship free. Learn More
20% off your first Repeat Delivery order Terms & Conditions
- The 20% discount is valid only on first-time Repeat Delivery orders.
- Enter promo code: rdsave20 in your Shopping Cart. Promotion codes are case and character sensitive, please enter as shown here.
- The 20% discount automatically applies to your first-time, qualifying Repeat Delivery purchase subtotal. Subtotal refers to amount of order before taxes and shipping. Maximum discount amount is $20.
- Exclusions: Add-on items, out-of-stock items, Donations, Petco Gift Cards and eGift Cards; items shipped through white glove delivery or LTL delivery; orders exceeding the maximum weight limit of 300 lbs.; and applicable taxes. Additional exclusions may apply and will be noted on the Product Detail page and/or Shopping Cart.
- Petco.com charges applicable tax on all orders shipped to states in which Petco has a physical location.
- Promotion Code valid for one use per order.
- Promotion Code cannot be redistributed or used in combination with any other offer.
- Petco.com in its sole discretion may refuse to redeem any Promotion Code that it believes in good faith to be fraudulently or improperly obtained.