Petco Pet Medical Records Policy
Last updated: February 11, 2021
I. OUR COLLECTION OF PET TREATMENT INFORMATION
In connection with your pet receiving any veterinary, wellness, pharmacy, or other services involving your pet's medical records (collectively, "Pet Treatment Services"), we may collect some or all of the following information from you:
- • Your pet's name, type, breed, gender, spay/neuter status, weight, vet information, photo, and date of birth;
- • Information regarding your pet's past, present, or future health (including hard or electronic copies of your pet's medical, treatment, or vaccination records);
- • Information regarding your pet's vaccination treatments;
- • Information regarding your pet's family members, allergies, or other information that may be helpful to provide treatment to your pet;
- • Information regarding your pet-related insurance;
- • Your pet's tag number received from us (e.g., at one of our clinics); and
- • Your emergency contact information.
In this Policy, we refer to the information we may collect in connection with your pet receiving Pet Treatment Services as "Pet Treatment Information."
II. YOUR CONSENT TO OUR USE AND DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PET TREATMENT INFORMATION
A. Uses. As a condition of your pet receiving any Pet Treatment Services from us, we will ask that you provide your consent to our use of your Pet Treatment Information for our commercial purposes, including without limitation:
- • To provide the Pet Treatment Services to your pet (including to record your pet's health information and receive payment for the Pet Treatment Services);
- • To determine needed Pet Treatment Services and to discuss potential alternatives or other pet health-related benefits;
- • To send vaccination reminders;
- • To fulfill your online orders or prescription requests;
- • To notify you of any product recalls;
- • To administer and improve our websites and businesses;
- • To promote our products and services to you, as well as the products and services of our affiliates;
- • To promote (and enable the promotion of) third-party products and services to you that you may find of interest;
- • To communicate with you about our contests, sweepstakes and other promotions, and to conduct other marketing activities; and
- • To respond to your inquiries and other correspondence, or request that you provide feedback to us.
B. Disclosures. As a condition of your pet receiving any Pet Treatment Services from us, we will also ask that you provide your consent to our disclosure of your Pet Treatment Information as follows:
- • To affiliates, related entities, and business partners within the Petco family of businesses;
- • To our third-party providers or contractors, subject to appropriate confidentiality obligations;
- • To government regulators and vaccine and medication manufacturers to improve and monitor the efficacy and effects of vaccines and medications;
- • To other providers if doing so is either helpful or appropriate for facilitating treatment (such as in the case of a referral for emergency services in the case of an adverse vaccination reaction); and
- • To third parties as part of a merger, acquisition or other sale or transfer of any of the assets or business of Petco and/or of any of our affiliates
III. CAN I CHANGE MY MIND AND REVOKE MY CONSENT?
You can change your mind and revoke any consent you have previously provided to us, except to the extent that we have relied on the consent up to that point, or if the Pet Treatment Information is needed to maintain the integrity of a research study, or as required by law. All requests to revoke a consent must be in writing and sent to the mailing address specified below.
IV. WHEN IS MY CONSENT NOT REQUIRED?
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Policy or in any consent form you may sign, your Pet Treatment Information may be disclosed without your consent in the following circumstances:
- • In case of an emergency;
- • In the event of a request from a public health agency;
- • In the event of a request from a law enforcement agency;
- • When there are communication or language barriers;
- • When required by law;
- • When there are risks to public health or safety;
- • To conduct health oversight activities;
- • To report suspected abuse or neglect;
- • To government regulatory agencies (for example, in the event of a public health emergency, public health agency request, or law enforcement request);
- • In connection with judicial or administrative proceedings; and
- • As otherwise required by law.
If you have any questions about this policy, you can contact us by:
- • Calling Customer Service at (877) 738-6742;
- • Writing us at Petco, 10850 Via Frontera, San Diego, CA 92127, Attn: Legal Department/Pet Medical Records Policy; or
- • Emailing email@example.com. Please note that we cannot provide pet records via this email address. All requests for pet records from a Vetco clinic must be made through our online portal, which may be accessed here.