Dry Dog Food (793)
Wet Dog Food (745)
Grain Free Dog Food (722)
Fresh Human Grade Dog Food (30)
Veterinary Diets Dog Food (141)
Weight Management Dog Food (100)
Puppy Food (146)
Senior Dog Food (77)
High Protein Dog Food (147)
Raw & Fresh Dog Food (41)
Small Breed Dog Food (329)
Large Breed Dog Food (76)
Dog Food Toppers (57)
How to Choose the Best Dog Food for Your Pet
Providing your dog a well-balanced diet is key in maintaining their health. But before you choose a pet food, there are a variety of factors to consider. Knowing whether to shop by life stage, breed, or dietary restrictions will help you create an effective nutrition plan. Keep reading to learn more about choosing the best dog food for your pet!
Shopping by life stage and breed size
All dogs do not eat the same food. They need different ingredients to cater to their nutritional needs as they are growing and developing. At Petco, we take this a step further by ensuring we carry top brands that supply artificial-free pet food and treats. Here are a few of the ways you can shop:
- Puppy Food - In the early stages your pet needs wholesome meals that support their growing bodies. Puppy formulas with extra nutrients help keep them satisfied and provide ample amounts of protein. They also contain ingredients that sustain bone health, promote strong teeth, and proper digestion.
- Adult dog food - When your furry pal reaches 90% of their expected adult weight, it’s time to leave the puppy food behind. Instead of supporting growth, adult formulas help maintain their bodies. Incorporating your dog’s eating habits and lifestyle into the selection process will help you find a food ideal for their diet.
- Senior Dog Food - As your dog grows older, they need food that supports the aging process. Senior formulas crafted with special needs in mind, including hip and joint health, weight management, digestion, and other issues , ensure your pet is getting the nutrition they require.
- Small Breed Dog Food - Small and toy size dogs need kibble adapted to their tinier mouths. This helps prevent choking and improves digestion. Since they have higher energy levels, small breed food is formulated with increased protein and carbohydrates to keep them fueled throughout the day.
- Large Breed Dog Food - Large and giant breed dogs are prone to musculoskeletal problems, orthopedic disease, obesity, and bloat. Formulas with glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health and a balance of other nutrients play a big role in providing complete nutrition.
Exploring different types of dog food
Once you narrow down the stage of life and breed size you’re shopping for, it’s time to figure out the type of food your dog will find irresistible. There are three main types—wet dog food, dry dog food, and human-grade dog food.
If you have a finicky eater, wet food may be the best option. Some pups find it more palatable, as the extra moisture helps with digestion and the recipes contain similar ingredients found in other food types.
Dry food is a favorite with pet parents because it does not require refrigeration. It can also be found in a variety of formulas including grain-free, limited ingredient, high protein, and other options to meet your pet’s needs.
For pups who require a fresh alternative, Just Food for Dogs supplies human grade meals. These nutritionally balanced recipes are crafted in an open kitchen and packed using Tetra Pak to maintain the freshness. You can also find raw dog food that is minimally processed and freeze dried to lock in nutrients and flavor.
How to get your pet’s food
Now that you know what to consider when shopping for your pup, it’s time to make a decision. Shop Petco for top brands including Wholehearted, Hill’s, Blue Buffalo, Acana, and many others. Pet parents who are members of Repeat Delivery enjoy free shipping while ensuring their furry pal never runs out of food!