Freshwater Eels have an excellent sense of smell but can't see very well. Eels have an elongated, snake-like body and vary in size and coloration. They open their jaws to allow water over their gills for breathing. Recommended for experienced aquarists.
Freshwater Eel Facts
average adult size:
1 to 3 feet long, some species can grow longer
average life span:
depends on species
minimum aquarium size:
20+ gallons depending on species
72 to 82°F
A well-balanced freshwater eel diet consists of:
Feed frozen, live, pelleted or freeze dried food.
Things to remember when feeding your freshwater eel:
Feed once a day, usually in the evening.
Some have teeth to crush their prey.
Some may refuse food and eat only every 2 to 3 weeks.
Keep in an appropriate size aquarium; a well-sealed aquarium lid is mandatory as eels can easily escape. Provide hiding places and plenty of room to swim.
Use of copper-based medications is toxic to eels.
Stable water quality and parameters are critical to the health of aquatic life. If you are unsure of your water quality, Petco provides free water testing.
Freshwater eels are usually sedentary.
They tend to be nocturnal (active at night) and live in holes or caves.
Can be aggressive and eat smaller tank mates.
Daily: check filter, water temperature and other equipment. Weekly: check water quality at least once a week. Monthly: change 10-25% of the total volume of water every 2 to 4 weeks, or as needed.
Do not house with small, slow-swimming species. May become aggressive in an overcrowded aquarium.
Signs of a healthy eel
Avoid overcrowded conditions, which are a major cause of stress and disease. Maintain good water quality with regular water changes and adequate filtration.
loss of color or appetite
spots or fungus on body or mouth
Common Health Issues
Symptoms or Causes
Health Issue Ich
Symptoms or CausesWhite spots appear on body and fins; Eel rubs against hard objects or swims awkwardly. Rapid respirations.
Suggested ActionQuarantine eel immediately; use a commercial ich remedy for at least two weeks.
Ask a store partner about Petco's selection of books on freshwater eels and the variety of private brand products available for the care and happiness of your new pet. All private brand products carry a 100% money-back guarantee.
Because all aquatic life are potential carriers of infectious diseases, such as Atypical Mycobacterium and Salmonella, always wash your hands before and after handling your aquatic life or habitat contents to help prevent the potential spread of disease.
Pregnant women, children under the age of 5, senior citizens and people with weakened immune systems should contact their physician before purchasing or caring for aquatic life and should consider not having aquatic life as a pet.
This care sheet can cover the needs of other species.
Note:The information on this Care Sheet is not a substitute for veterinary care. If you need additional information, please refer to the sources on the following page or contact your veterinarian as appropriate.
Developed with and approved by a qualified veterinarian.
Free Standard Shipping automatically applies to your qualifying minimum online purchase subtotal of $49. No promotion code necessary. Subtotal refers to amount of order before taxes and shipping. All Free Shipping is based on Standard Shipping rates.
Free Shipping Exclusions: Cat litter, dog litter, ice melter, wild bird food, live fish & rock, aquatic gravel and accents; crickets, live food and frozen food; out-of-stock items, Donations, Petco or Unleashed by Petco Gift Cards and eGift Cards; items shipped through white glove delivery or LTL delivery; orders exceeding the maximum weight limit of 300 lbs.; and applicable taxes. Additional exclusions may apply and will be noted on the Product Detail page and/or Shopping Cart.
Cat litter, dog litter, wild bird food, live & frozen food and oversized items may incur an additional per-item shipping & handling fee or surcharge. Additional fees may apply and will be noted on the Product Detail page and/or Shopping Cart.
Did you know? Repeat Delivery orders always ship free. Learn More
20% off your first Repeat Delivery order Terms & Conditions
- The 20% discount is valid only on first-time Repeat Delivery orders.
- Enter promo code: rdsave20 in your Shopping Cart. Promotion codes are case and character sensitive, please enter as shown here.
- The 20% discount automatically applies to your first-time, qualifying Repeat Delivery purchase subtotal. Subtotal refers to amount of order before taxes and shipping. Maximum discount amount is $20.
- Exclusions: Add-on items, out-of-stock items, Donations, Petco Gift Cards and eGift Cards; items shipped through white glove delivery or LTL delivery; orders exceeding the maximum weight limit of 300 lbs.; and applicable taxes. Additional exclusions may apply and will be noted on the Product Detail page and/or Shopping Cart.
- Petco.com charges applicable tax on all orders shipped to states in which Petco has a physical location.
- Promotion Code valid for one use per order.
- Promotion Code cannot be redistributed or used in combination with any other offer.
- Petco.com in its sole discretion may refuse to redeem any Promotion Code that it believes in good faith to be fraudulently or improperly obtained.