includes dwarf african frogs, albino clawed frog and firebelly newt species, and tadpoles
These fully aquatic Amphibians never need to leave the water. African Dwarf Frogs can be kept with community fish. Tadpoles will eventually transform into a terrestrial frog, depending on species; check the terrestrial frog care sheet for proper frog care.
Freshwater Amphibians Facts
average adult size:
depends on species
average life span:
depends on species
minimum aquarium size:
A well-balanced Freshwater Amphibian diet consists of:
Bloodworms and brine shrimp (live or frozen).
Sinking fish food pellets.
Tadpoles require algae wafers and sinking pellets.
Things to remember when feeding your Freshwater Amphibian:
Feed once a day.
Thaw frozen food before feeding.
Keep in an appropriate size aquarium; provide plenty of hiding places and a secure lid to prevent jumping.
Stable water quality, water temperature, and pH levels are critical to the health of the aquatic life. If you are unsure of your water quality or pH levels, Petco provides free water testing.
Spends most of the day on the bottom of the tank, but swims to the surface to breathe air.
Daily:check filter, water temperature and other equipment.
Weekly:check water quality at least once a week.
Monthly:change 10-25% of the total volume of water every 2-4 weeks, or as needed.
Introduce new inhabitants to the aquarium gradually.
Check Petco’s freshwater compatibility care sheet for species specific information.
signs of a healthy animal
Clear eyes and smooth skin
Remains in the bottom half of the aquarium
loss of appetite
hazy or cloudy eyes
does not swim away from capture
floating on the top of the aquarium
If you notice any of these signs, contact your veterinarian.
Common Health Issues
Symptoms or Causes
Health Issue Bacterial infection
Symptoms or CausesCloudy eyes, open sores, and/or reddening of the skin.
Suggested ActionImprove water quality and consult your aquatic veterinarian for treatment; seek veterinary advice.
Health IssueFungal Infection
Symptoms or CausesRed inflammation of the skin, or any other abnormal change in skin color.
Ask an associate about Petco’s selection of books on Freshwater Amphibians and the variety of Petco Brand products available for the care and happiness of your new pet. All Petco Brand products carry a 100% money-back guarantee.
Because all aquatic life are potential carriers of infectious diseases, such as Salmonella, always wash your hands before and after handling your aquatic life and/or habitat contents to help prevent the potential spread of diseases.
Pregnant women, children under the age of 5 and people with weakened immune systems should contact their physician before purchasing and/or caring for aquatic life and should consider not having aquatic life as a pet.
Go to the Centers for Disease Control at cdc.gov/healthypets for more information about aquatic life and disease.
This care sheet can cover the needs of other species.
Note: The information on this Care Sheet is not a substitute for veterinary care. If you need additional information, please refer to the sources on the following page or contact your veterinarian as appropriate.
Free Standard Shipping automatically applies to your qualifying minimum online purchase subtotal of $49. No promotion code necessary. Subtotal refers to amount of order before taxes and shipping. All Free Shipping is based on Standard Shipping rates.
Free Shipping Exclusions: Cat litter, dog litter, ice melter, wild bird food, live fish & rock, aquatic gravel and accents; crickets, live food and frozen food; out-of-stock items, Donations, Petco or Unleashed by Petco Gift Cards and eGift Cards; items shipped through white glove delivery or LTL delivery; orders exceeding the maximum weight limit of 300 lbs.; and applicable taxes. Additional exclusions may apply and will be noted on the Product Detail page and/or Shopping Cart.
Cat litter, dog litter, wild bird food, live & frozen food and oversized items may incur an additional per-item shipping & handling fee or surcharge. Additional fees may apply and will be noted on the Product Detail page and/or Shopping Cart.
Did you know? Repeat Delivery orders always ship free. Learn More
20% off your first Repeat Delivery order Terms & Conditions
- The 20% discount is valid only on first-time Repeat Delivery orders.
- Enter promo code: rdsave20 in your Shopping Cart. Promotion codes are case and character sensitive, please enter as shown here.
- The 20% discount automatically applies to your first-time, qualifying Repeat Delivery purchase subtotal. Subtotal refers to amount of order before taxes and shipping. Maximum discount amount is $20.
- Exclusions: Add-on items, out-of-stock items, Donations, Petco Gift Cards and eGift Cards; items shipped through white glove delivery or LTL delivery; orders exceeding the maximum weight limit of 300 lbs.; and applicable taxes. Additional exclusions may apply and will be noted on the Product Detail page and/or Shopping Cart.
- Petco.com charges applicable tax on all orders shipped to states in which Petco has a physical location.
- Promotion Code valid for one use per order.
- Promotion Code cannot be redistributed or used in combination with any other offer.
- Petco.com in its sole discretion may refuse to redeem any Promotion Code that it believes in good faith to be fraudulently or improperly obtained.