If you've recently adopted or purchased a puppy, don't panic! Although you may be feeling overwhelmed by the responsibility of parenting your pet, you'll quickly see how much love your puppy can give you in return for your time, affection and effort. Here are some tips for surviving those first few weeks as a puppy parent.
Purchase a crate for your puppy.
Even though your puppy cries at night, don't let your new puppy sleep in your bed. A puppy needs a crate where they can rest, learn the house rules and practice potty training (dogs don't like to soil their sleeping space). Your puppy should sleep in their crate at night and be placed there when you’re not at home or able to supervise them but allowed out for plenty of exercise time.
Place a soft toy in the crate.
Many puppies use a plush toy as a pillow. Your puppy is cuddling up to the toy because it reminds them of their littermates. Some pet parents choose to place a ticking clock near the crate because it sounds like a comforting heartbeat. Other types of toys, such as chew toys, squeaky toys or rope toys, can keep your puppy mentally stimulated while in the crate, which will prevent boredom, whining, barking and digging.
Gate an area for your puppy, and hold them on a leash.
Your puppy shouldn’t be kept in the crate all the time. A puppy needs to have space to play with you and with their toys. It’s best to gate an area where your teething puppy can't do any damage and be sure to have an array of teething toys available.
If you are taking your puppy outside of an enclosed space, make sure to use a 6-foot leash to keep them close to you, so you can keep an eye on them. Hold the leash at all times, rather than tying it to something and leaving the puppy alone, which can be dangerous.
Pick up the food bowl after eating.
It's best to keep the puppy's toys, water and food in the gated area. Although the water bowl can stay on the floor, your puppy needs to learn to eat their meals and not nibble food all day so remove the food bowl after chow time.
Accidents will happen.
Even though you are taking your puppy out on a leash quite frequently to the same general area to do his business, accidents will still happen. When your puppy has an accident, wipe it up and take the paper towel and your puppy immediately outside. Let your puppy sniff the paper towel but experts recommend against handling accidents with punishment: do not hit your puppy or rub their nose in the soiled towel.
Go to the vet.
As soon as possible, take your puppy to a veterinarian for a routine checkup. Your veterinarian can help you make sure your puppy receives the necessary vaccinations to remain healthy, and advise on key milestones like when you can start socializing your puppy or begin training classes.
Free Standard Shipping automatically applies to your qualifying minimum online purchase subtotal of $49. No promotion code necessary. Subtotal refers to amount of order before taxes and shipping. All Free Shipping is based on Standard Shipping rates. P.O. Boxes, Alaska/Hawaii are based on USPS Priority Mail.
Free Shipping Exclusions: Cat litter, dog litter, ice melter, wild bird food, live fish & rock, aquatic gravel and accents; crickets, live food and frozen food; out-of-stock items, Donations, Petco or Unleashed by Petco Gift Cards and eGift Cards; items shipped through white glove delivery or LTL delivery; orders exceeding the maximum weight limit of 300 lbs.; and applicable taxes. Additional exclusions may apply and will be noted on the Product Detail page and/or Shopping Cart.
Cat litter, dog litter, wild bird food, live & frozen food and oversized items may incur an additional per-item shipping & handling fee or surcharge. Additional fees may apply and will be noted on the Product Detail page and/or Shopping Cart.
Did you know? Repeat Delivery orders always ship free. Learn More
20% off your first Repeat Delivery order Terms & Conditions
- The 20% discount is valid only on first-time Repeat Delivery orders.
- Enter promo code: rdsave20 in your Shopping Cart. The Promotion Code is one time use only.
- The 20% discount automatically applies to your first-time, qualifying Repeat Delivery purchase subtotal. Subtotal refers to amount of order before taxes and shipping. Maximum discount amount is $20.
- Exclusions: Add-on items, out-of-stock items, Donations, Petco Gift Cards and eGift Cards; items shipped through white glove delivery or LTL delivery; orders exceeding the maximum weight limit of 300 lbs.; and applicable taxes. Additional exclusions may apply and will be noted on the Product Detail page and/or Shopping Cart.
- Petco.com charges applicable tax on all orders shipped to states in which Petco has a physical location.
- Promotion Code valid for one use per order.
- Promotion Code cannot be redistributed or used in combination with any other offer.
- Petco.com in its sole discretion may refuse to redeem any Promotion Code that it believes in good faith to be fraudulently or improperly obtained.