Resource Center Menu

Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

Unfortunately, the answer is no—grapes in any form are highly toxic to canines and should never be provided to your pet. Eating just one grape could result in toxicity. If your dog has consumed grapes, raisins, currants or any other grape product,immediately contact your veterinarian or pet poison control.

Why grapes are toxic to dogs

Researchers aren’t exactly sure what substance in grapes makes this fruit so toxic to pups. However, they know that even a small amount of grape can cause sudden kidney failure and is extremely lethal to dogs.

Signs of grape poisoning in dogs

If your pet has consumed a grape and you notice any of the following symptoms, grape toxicity may be to blame and you should contact your veterinarian immediately.

  • Vomiting and diarrhea
  • Tender abdomen
  • Increased thirst
  • Dehydration
  • Diminished or lost appetite
  • Lethargy and weakness
  • Increased urine production or decrease in urine quantity

What to do if your dog consumes grapes

If you know or suspect your dog has eaten grapes, seek veterinary care or call pet poison control immediately. If they have eaten grapes recently, your veterinarian may recommend that you induce vomiting at home, as getting the grapes out of your dog’s system can be a good way to prevent toxicity. However, if your dog shows advanced signs of kidney failure or is unconscious, inducing vomiting is not recommended. 

How to Prevent Your Dog from Eating Grapes

Grapes can be a typical and tasty snack for humans—especially if you have kids at home. However, kids can be messy eaters, and even one stray raisin can be enough to make your dog seriously ill. Keeping an eye on your pet and your child while they eat grapes and raisins can go a long way in preventing your dog from consuming grapes and related foods. Feeding kids at the table or in a highchair can make this task a little easier. Also, be sure to keep grapes and related foods properly sealed in bags and avoid leaving glasses of wine lying around where your dog can drink them.

» MORE: Learn about fruits and vegetables that dogs can and cannot eat.

FAQs about dogs eating grapes

No, dogs—and cats for that matter—cannot eat grapes, raisins or currants. This family of berries is known to cause acute kidney failure in both dogs and cats. That means that the answer to questions like “Can dogs eat green grapes?” or “Can dogs eat red grapes?” is the same.Dogs can’t eat any type of grape.

You should never give your dogs grapes because we don’t know exactly how much toxin exists in each part of the grape, and the exact toxic dose in dogs is not well established. Just one grape can be lethal to your dog.

No. Dogs can’t eat any part of a grape. Science hasn’t yet figured out exactly why grapes are toxic to dogs, so we don’t know in which part of the berry the toxin lies. We also don’t know exactly how much of the toxin may exist in each part of the grape. That means no part of the grape is safe, and even removing the seeds or skin likely means you’re still giving your dog the toxin in some form.

Reviewed by Dr. Whitney Miller, DVM, MBA, DACVPM

As Petco’s Chief Veterinarian, Dr. Miller is the lead veterinary subject matter expert, overseeing the company’s standards of excellence in animal care and welfare, growth in pet services and much more. Dr. Miller leads Petco’s medical team, supporting over 200 full-service hospitals and mobile vaccination clinics operating in over 1,000 Petco Pet Care Centers nationwide