The following four dog cues will help you keep your dog safe, happy, and healthy and give you peace of mind!
This is arguably the most critical cue to teach your dog. Also known as recall, “come” tells your dog to return to you. If your dog were to slip out of his collar near a busy street, “come” could be a lifesaver.
Training tip: Have a partner hold your dog’s leash while you get a treat ready. Then, use the treat as a magnet, hold it close to your dog’s nose, turn and rapidly walk away from your dog. Excitedly call your dog using a rapidly repeating noise like “pup pup”, clap, whistle, smooch or click. When your dog follows you, say “yes” and urge him on with “good puppy/ boy/ girl!” Stop and crouch as your dog arrives to you and let the treat and praise begin. Repeat this exercise several times and when it seems that your dog is catching on, say “come” before you call him and gradually increase the distance between you and your dog each time.
The ability to sit on cue is the hallmark of a polite, well-mannered pup. This cue is especially useful when greeting guests.
Training tip: Start with your dog facing you. Place a dog treat in the upward facing, open palm of your hand an inch or so above your dog’s nose. Then, slowly slide your hand toward the top of your dog’s head and lure him to follow the treat. Your dog will likely try to keep your hand in sight and lower his bottom to the floor. As soon as this happens, praise heartily and give your dog the treat. Repeat and when it seems that your dog is catching on, say “sit” before you lure him and say “yes” accompanied with a treat as soon as your dog sits.
Asking your dog to go into a down position, can help them settle down in situations where they are highly excited.
Training tip: Ask your dog to “sit” and hold a treat between your thumb and forefinger with the palm of your hand facing down. However the treat directly in front of your dog’s nose. Slowly lower the treat between his front paws, luring his nose and head down towards the ground. Then, if needed, drag the treat slowly along the ground toward you. Your dog should follow the treat with his nose, causing him to lie down on his belly. As soon as his elbows hit the ground, say “yes” and give him the treat, along with lots of praise.
Repeat and when it seems that your dog is catching on, say “down” before you lure him and say “yes” accompanied with a treat as soon as your dog lies down.
“Stay” can help your dog avoid potentially hazardous situations. Plus, it’s great for keeping your dog in a prolonged “sit” or “down” position.
Training tip: Start by asking your dog to sit or lie down. Hold up one hand with your palm facing your dog; hold a dog treat in the opposite hand. Treat your dog while the dog is in the “stay”. Do this standing very close to the dog with no movement and very little distraction. Praise the dog while in “stay”. Release your dog from “stay,” using a word like “ok” or “thank you” and take a step back. Don’t reward for the release. Repeat this several times, adding the word “stay” and making sure to increase the distance, time and distractions little by little as your dog progresses.
Free Standard Shipping automatically applies to your qualifying minimum online purchase subtotal of $49. No promotion code necessary. Subtotal refers to amount of order before taxes and shipping. All Free Shipping is based on Standard Shipping rates.
Free Shipping Exclusions: Cat litter, dog litter, ice melter, wild bird food, live fish & rock, aquatic gravel and accents; crickets, live food and frozen food; out-of-stock items, Donations, Petco or Unleashed by Petco Gift Cards and eGift Cards; items shipped through white glove delivery or LTL delivery; orders exceeding the maximum weight limit of 300 lbs.; and applicable taxes. Additional exclusions may apply and will be noted on the Product Detail page and/or Shopping Cart.
Cat litter, dog litter, wild bird food, live & frozen food and oversized items may incur an additional per-item shipping & handling fee or surcharge. Additional fees may apply and will be noted on the Product Detail page and/or Shopping Cart.
Did you know? Repeat Delivery orders always ship free. Learn More
20% off your first Repeat Delivery order Terms & Conditions
- The 20% discount is valid only on first-time Repeat Delivery orders.
- Enter promo code: rdsave20 in your Shopping Cart. Promotion codes are case and character sensitive, please enter as shown here.
- The 20% discount automatically applies to your first-time, qualifying Repeat Delivery purchase subtotal. Subtotal refers to amount of order before taxes and shipping. Maximum discount amount is $20.
- Exclusions: Add-on items, out-of-stock items, Donations, Petco Gift Cards and eGift Cards; items shipped through white glove delivery or LTL delivery; orders exceeding the maximum weight limit of 300 lbs.; and applicable taxes. Additional exclusions may apply and will be noted on the Product Detail page and/or Shopping Cart.
- Petco.com charges applicable tax on all orders shipped to states in which Petco has a physical location.
- Promotion Code valid for one use per order.
- Promotion Code cannot be redistributed or used in combination with any other offer.
- Petco.com in its sole discretion may refuse to redeem any Promotion Code that it believes in good faith to be fraudulently or improperly obtained.