Raintight Coupling Kit
For Lifegard Ultraviolet Sterilizers
The Lifegard Raintight Coupling keeps moisture out of the UV Sterilizer and protects the bulb from moisture damage. It will keep electrical connection dry and allow safe operation when unit is installed outdoors. Please note that the ballast assembly must also be kept dry, with no chance for water contact. Water contact will damage ballast and possibly create an electrical hazard. Please see Raintight Ballast Box instructions.
Raintight Coupling Installation Instructions
- Turn off pump.
- Shut off ballast assembly that operates UV bulb.
- Unplug ballast assembly that operates UV bulb.
- Remove bulb with ballast attached from unit by pulling assembly straight out.
- Squeeze the narrow end of the splash boot in one hand and with the cord in the other hand gently work the pin connectors towards the large open end of the splash boot. This will force the electrical connection out of the splash boot. Separate the bulb from the 4-pin female connector by pulling the two connectors apart. Do not pull the wires as this will damage the bulb and/or the female connector. Set the ballast and bulb aside.
- Unscrew the cap with quartz sleeve attached.
- Unscrew the compression coupling on top of the cap an discard. The gasket must remain entirely below open end of quartz sleeve to achieve and maintain a positive seal.
- Screw the bottom of the Raintight Coupling onto the cap thread. The compression coupling will push the quartz sleeve and gasket into proper position as you hand tighten. Tighten until sleeve and cap are secured together.
- Carefully insert quartz sleeve with cap attached into center of UV Sterilizer and hand tighten.
- Unscrew the top cap of the Raintight Coupling and remove the split gasket.
- Separate bulb from 4-pin connector on ballast. Slide the splash boot up the ballast cord and away from the 4-pin female connector.
- Insert the 4-pin female connector through the top cap of the Raintight Coupling.
- The clear wire covering should touch the 4-pin connector so that individual wires are not exposed. If wires are exposed, pull clear covering towards 4-pin connector before installing gasket. Do not pull on 4-pin connector or wires. Open the split gasket and slide gasket over clear wire covering above the 4-pin female connector. Be certain split gasket is positioned over clear wire covering and not on the individual wires, to achieve proper seal.
- Match the pins of the male bulb and female connector and push into place.
- Gently insert bulb through Raintight Coupling on top of UV Sterilizer until it reaches the bottom of the quartz sleeve inside the unit.
- Slide top cap of Raintight Coupling over split gasket and tighten onto top thread of the Coupling. Hand tighten only.
- The splash boot is no longer necessary. It can be place over the Raintight Coupling if desired or can be cut off. Use caution not to cut ballast wires.
Raintight Ballast Box
For Lifegard Ultraviolet Sterilizer Ballasts
Warning: Failure to install the unit in the correct position may result in water damage to the ballast and possibly create an electrical hazard.
If you purchased the complete ballast box kit, start at #1. Otherwise go to #2.
- Remove Raintight Coupling Kit (if included) from inside box and install as per instructions.
- Remove bottom plate from box. Consult a licensed electrician to hard wire the unit if desired. If hard plumbing the ballast is not desired, screw the two threaded plugs into the bottom plate.
- Hold ballast so that the wire that connects to the UV bulb is in an upright position and the wire to the plug is pointing downward.
- Fold the wire that connect to the UV bulb downward along side to the ballast.
- Place the ballast inside the box with the two cords coming out the open end of the box.
- Position the bottom plate on open end of box allowing wires to fit into slots provided and secure with two screws provided.
- Mount ballast box (with ballast inside) in correct vertical position with mounting screws provided. Line up screws (three inches apart on center) with screw support slots on ballast box lid. Push box over screw heads and slide down to lock in place.
- Ballast must be plugged into a properly grounded Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI), a normal precaution for electrical devices near water environments. Severe or fatal injury can result if unit is not plugged into a properly grounded GFCI adapter. Shut off power before servicing ballast or ultraviolet sterilizer unit. Install box where the ballast plug and electrical outlet will be contained inside an outdoor raintight receptacle to prevent any exposure to moisture.