The Company of Animals Dog Spinny Interactive Dog Game
Dog Spinny has a single removable bone that has to be dislodged by the dog, who can then rotate the top section to access treats in the compartments below. By gradually reducing the number of treats, you can encourage him to work harder. The bone has a small hole to allow the scent of the treat to pass through and encourage him to use and develop his extraordinary sense of smell. With a little practice, he will soon learn to dislodge the bone to access hidden rewards. By gradually reducing the number of treats, you can encourage him to work harder for rewards. A great way to mentally stimulate and challenge your dog. Dog Spinny has an easy skill level and is great for all ages and sizes of dogs. Comes with a free training guide.
We recommend that introduction to the game be gradual and progressive, so that the dog does not become frustrated or overexcited. We want him to use brain not brawn to uncover the puzzle.
- Remove the bone and place a treat in the underlying compartment. Allow the dog to approach and eat the food, to familiarize him with the Dog Spinny.
- Repeat until he is happy and confident to take the treats.
- Next, with the dog watching but under control, place a treat in both the first and second compartments, then turn the top of the Spinny slightly so that half of each compartment is on show. Allow him to approach the Dog Spinny and encourage him to "find it".
- If he turns the Spinny and uncovers the treat, praise, then encourage him to manipulate the second compartment. If necessary, turn the Spinny slightly for him so that he can see and smell the treat. Repeat, gradually introducing more treats and closing the gap over the treats until he is happily turning the Spinny.
- If the dog has not managed to turn the Spinny within a minute, open it a little wider for him so that he is motivated to continue. Repeat, gradually closing the Spinny over the gap until he gets the idea.
- Once he is confident at turning the Spinny, you can make the game more difficult by introducing the bone.
- Again, with the dog watching but under control, place a treat in one compartment and cover with the bone. Allow the dog to approach the Dog Spinny and encourage him to "find it". If he dislodges the bone and earns the treat, praise him and repeat.
- If the dog has not dislodged the bone within a minute, remove it to maintain his motivation. Replace the treat and sit the bone horizontally across the gap rather than allowing it to fit into its vertical fit. This way, the bone should be easily dislodged by even the shyest dog. Repeat until confident, then place the bone correctly and repeat as earlier.
- Once the dog can confidently dislodge the bone and turn the Dog Spinny, you can vary the number and location of treats in the various compartments.