Keeping your pet fountain cleaner ensures proper function and can prolong the life of the appliance. Even more importantly a clean fountain means clean, fresh, healthy, great-tasting water for your pet.
Clean your Drinkwell Pet Fountain and inside cavity of the motor with soapy water about every two weeks. In between (weekly), take apart and rinse with hot water. Always unplug the fountain before cleaning.Motor Cleaning:
- Turn the bowl over and remove the motor from the bowl by slipping your finger into the indentaion behind the motor and lifting up a quarter of a turn.
- Now that the motor is unlocked, it may be pulled away from the bowl. If you find that difficult, you can push it out from the front side of the bowl. Carefully lift the white impeller out of the motor. Remove any hair tangled around it and gently wash it.
- Pour soapy water into the inner cavity of the motor and scrub with the smallest brush. The best way to rinse out the motor cavity is to hold it under a weak stream of water. Do not submerge the motor. Replace the impeller after it is cleaned.
- Remove the upper housing of the fountain by pressing in the tabs at the sides and lifting up. The Flow Control Knob and Stator are not attached and are freed when the housing is removed.
- Remove the filter and use the largest brush to clean the fountain housing. The end of the brush has a sponge tip to provide easier cleaning of the corners and edges.
- Use the medium brush to clean the square intake tube in the housing.
- Hand wash the rest of the fountain parts with a mild detergent and rinse well. If your dishwasher runs too hot the plastic may be damaged. The reservior is not dishwasher safe.
- Reattach the motor by pushing the neck of the motor through the hole in the bowl at a right angle. The threads on the motor must be pushed all the way into the bowl before the motor can turn into its resting position.
- Place the Stator over the neck of the motor. Join the Flow Control Knob and Stator together by placing the tabs of the Knob into the groove of the Stator. Hold these parts in place with one hand while attaching the housing with the other hand, by sliding the cutout in the wall of the housing IN BETWEEN the Flow Control Knob and Stator.