The mission of the Petco Foundation is to raise the quality of life for pets and people who love and need them. We believe that raising the quality of life for pets requires creating lifesaving communities nationwide. As one of the nation’s largest funders of animal welfare causes, the Petco Foundation holds a responsibility and obligation to invest funds wisely in organizations that achieve their mission and vision. Therefore, success, accountability and prudent use of funds are important to our grant analysis and follow-up process. We have an expectation that animal welfare organizations continually endeavor to achieve a high standard of doing more and are determined to save as many lives as possible with our investment.
All requests for support to the Petco Foundation must be submitted through our online grant process. We have grant cycles which offer grant opportunities for different types of organizations at different times throughout the year. Organizations apply by type of organization rather than type of funding.
Sheltering & Adoptions Organizations
For animal welfare organizations performing sheltering and adoptions, we have 2 grant cycles per year, with decisions made in June and December. Applicants seeking a June decision must apply between January 15th and March 1st. Applicants seeking a December decision must apply between July 15th and September 1st. Organizations may apply for any type of funding, but will only be allowed one application per grant cycle. This one application may have several funding purposes including event sponsorship.
Sheltering & Grant Instructions >
The following organizations are eligible to apply:
- Animal Control agencies and non-profit organizations responsible for animal control field support and sheltering services.
- Non-profit organizations responsible for animal control sheltering services but not field support (via contract or otherwise).
- SPCA/Humane Societies and other non-profits that provide care and adoption services for animals in a sheltering facility.
- Non-profit organizations that are primarily foster-based rescues.
More Grant Opportunities
Grant opportunities for other organizations will become available at a later date. If your organization is primarily one of the types listed below, we advise you to wait until the appropriate application is available on our website. Completing the incorrect application may prevent you from applying through a more applicable future grant application. We expect that future applications will be provided for the following types of organizations:
- Spay/neuter clinics
- Community Cat support and TNR organizations
- Service and therapy animal organizations
- Pet cancer research or cancer funding support organizations
- Other animal welfare organizations as determined by the Foundation
We do not fund the following:
- Organizations outside the United States
- Non-profit organizations whose primary mission is not related to animal welfare