The mission of the Petco Foundation is to raise the quality of life for pets and people who love and need them. We believe that raising the quality of life for pets requires creating lifesaving communities nationwide. As one of the nation's largest funders of animal welfare causes, the Petco Foundation holds a responsibility and obligation to invest funds wisely in organizations that achieve their mission and vision. Therefore, success, accountability and prudent use of funds are important to our grant analysis and follow-up process. We have an expectation that animal welfare organizations continually endeavor to achieve a high standard of doing more and are determined to save as many lives as possible with our investment.
All requests for support to the Petco Foundation must be submitted through our online grant process. We have grant cycles which offer grant opportunities for different types of organizations at different times throughout the year. Organizations apply by type of organization rather than type of funding during the following application periods:
The following organizations are eligible to apply:
- Animal Control agencies and non-profit organizations responsible for animal control field support and sheltering services.
- Non-profit organizations responsible for animal control sheltering services but not field support (via contract or otherwise).
- SPCA/Humane Societies and other non-profits that provide care and adoption services for animals in a sheltering facility.
- Non-profit organizations that are primarily foster-based rescues.
Each October the Petco Foundation, in partnership with Natural Balance, invites animal lovers to support the heroic and lifesaving work of service and therapy animals. Funds raised during this campaign support service and therapy animal organizations across the country.
We offer grant opportunities for different types of organizations at various times throughout the year. Organizations apply by type of organization rather than type of funding. Login to our grant site to see current applications offered. We expect that applications will be provided for the following types of organizations:
- Spay/neuter clinics;
- Community Cat support and TNR organizations;
- Service and therapy animal organizations;
- Pet cancer research or cancer funding support organizations; and
- Other animal welfare organizations as determined by the Foundation.
We do not fund the following:
- Organizations outside the United States
- Non-profit organizations whose primary mission is not related to animal welfare
Note: If you have received support from the Petco Foundation within the past year, you will need to complete the requisite follow up form prior to applying again.
What you will need
Before applying for any type of Petco Foundation grant or support, you’ll need the following:
- Organization legal name and official mailing address
- Valid email address (you'll be notified of your application decision via email)
- The geographic area where the funding will be applied
If you are not currently a Charitable Partner (have never received funds from Petco Foundation)you will also need:
- Completed and signed copy of the IRS W-9 Form
- Copy of 501(c)(3) tax determination letter or Government or Municipal Agency Form (blank document available from within the Application site)
- Organization Form 990
If your organization has had a change of address, we will need the following:
If this is your first time applying for support through our online grant site, you'll need to create a new account when accessing the Partner Log In page.
- Once an account has been set up for your organization, you’ll see a list of the grant opportunities currently offered.
- We recommend saving the Partner Log In page as a "Favorite" so you can easily check the status of your application.
- You'll be notified of our decision regarding your application via email.
Instructions & tutorials
Our application process has changed. Please carefully read the instructions applicable to your particular grant application prior to completing an application. These documents will help guide you through the application process and ensure that your application is thorough and complete. There are no instruction guidelines for the Pet Cancer and the Service/Therapy animal applications, as these applications are self-explanatory.
You can also review the two videos below for more helpful tips on navigating the grant application site: