PETCO and the PETCO Foundation are making a difference for animals affected by the ravages of Hurricane Katrina. Our efforts continue through Hurricane Rita.
Proceeds from a company-wide Hurricane Disaster Relief Fundraiser held from August 30th through September 11th are providing much needed food, product and monetary donations to the affected animals and the people who love them. We have donated over $500,000 in food, crates and supplies so far, and requests for help continue to pour in to the Foundation
All funds donated go to alleviating the many challenges the animals and their guardians in the Gulf Coast states will continue to face. In the wake of Hurricane Rita, our Fundraiser is set to relaunch. You can help by donating to the PETCO Foundation now
Before Hurricane Rita reaches the Texas Gulf Coast, the PETCO Foundation is already at work. Saving Animals, a Houston area animal welfare group, contacted the Foundation asking for airline crates to transport animals from the low-lying Houston Animal Care and Control to Denver, where the Dumb Friends League offered to take the animals. All other locations in the Houston area that could have taken animals evacuated from Houston Animal Care and Control are already full with animals evacuated from Louisiana following Hurricane Katrina.
- When Hurricane Katrina first made landfall on the Gulf Coast, PETCO and the PETCO Foundation discussed plans with the American Humane Association's Animal Emergency Services to deploy its rescue rig to responders ready to be staged in Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama. With monetary assistance from the PETCO Foundation, the American Humane's rescue rig was deployed on August 31st, and after a quick stop at a local PETCO for food and supplies, it was on its way. Visit American Humane's web site to see how they are responding to the disaster.
- PETCO stores surrounding the Gulf Coast are donating much needed food and supplies to relief efforts and individual evacuees as the requests came pouring into their stores.
- PETCO arranged for a donation of 600 kennels to the Houston SPCA so they could handle the influx of animals into its shelter. Over 1500 crates and kennels have been donated to shelters and rescues in the affected areas. Houston, San Antonio, and Austin PETCO stores became pickup points for these donated crates.
- Utah PETCO stores helped No More Homeless Pets Utah load up a trailer to deliver product to Jefferson Parish.
- Shelters in Utah, Tennessee, Missouri, Illinois, Michigan, Washington, Arkansas, California, Georgia, Florida and Massachusetts are receiving donations of food and supplies from PETCO and the PETCO Foundation to accommodate the animals being transported to their areas for rehoming.
These are just a few of the actions taken by the PETCO Foundation and PETCO. Together we will make a difference.
Animal Emergency Response Network and Foster Homes
Our partner Petfinder.com has created an Animal Emergency Response Network to help companion animal victims and their caretakers during disasters. This is a collaborative database linking information from the public and emergency response organizations. If you have lost or found a pet, can foster a pet or would like to volunteer, access the Animal Emergency Response Network
We are urging evacuees from Hurricane Rita to make immediate plans for their pets should they have to separate. Visit Petfinder.com or call 800-485-5152 to find a temporary foster home near where you are staying. Evacuees can also download a pet foster agreement at disaster.petfinder.com
PETCO Associates Affected by Hurricane Katrina
If you are a PETCO associate and you require assistance as a result of Hurricane Katrina, please call us toll-free at 1-888-824-PALS (7257) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Include the following in any email communication:
- Your name
- Your home store number or store name
- Where/How we can contact you (i.e., Address, Phone Number with area code, Email, and any additional contact information that would help us get in touch with you)
- Where are you currently located? (i.e., City, State)
- Let us know if you can return to work. We will locate a store nearest where you are.
Please leave any other information that would help us contact you or assist you.
PETCO Holds 'Round-Up' To Aid Animal Victims of Hurricane Katrina