Now is a good time to go through your spring pond cleaning checklist to plan what you will need to purchase.
Remember these important steps:
- Check your pond for any areas that may require repairs.
- Remove any accumulated debris from the pond.
- Remove and dry the de-icer (if applicable), then store properly for next season.
- Inspect and replace hoses and fittings that are leaking.
- Start up the pump and filter in shallow water to ensure they are working properly.
- Replace up to 25% of the pond water with tap water. Remember to add a water conditioner to remove chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals found in most tap water.
- Examine fish for activity, ensure they are not struggling and are visibly healthy. Begin feeding according to seasonal feeding cycle