The key to a successful trip—either long or short—is keeping your guinea pig comfortable and secure. Follow these tips to help make the trip a happy—and safe—one for your guinea pig:
- Always use an appropriate size carrier for your guinea pig.
- Make sure your vehicle is acclimated to between 70–80°F (either warmed up or cooled down), prior to placing your guinea pig into the vehicle.
- Place the carrier in a secure location that is not in direct sunlight.
- Ensure your guinea pig has access to fresh, clean water at all times.
- Access to food is also needed for longer trips.
- Longer trips across state lines require a health certificate signed by a veterinarian. Check all state requirements before traveling out of town.
- Never, ever leave your guinea pig unattended in a car, even if you think you will only be away for a short period of time.
Please remember that different species of companion animals should never be housed together in a habitat.
Shop for guinea pig supplies >