Your dog's food is specifically designed to meet all of his dietary needs. However, few of us can resist sneaking him a snack or two. Here's a breakdown of healthy "people food" dog treat options:
Good Dog Snacks:
- Vegetables: Carrots, broccoli, cooked squash, zucchini and cooked potatoes
- Fruits: Peeled apples, melons and berries
- Grains: Rice and plain pasta
- Meats/dairy: Bites of steak, chicken, turkey, hamburger or hot dog are fine - in small doses. Plain yogurt also is a healthy treat.
Occasional dog treats:
- Peanut butter: Try stuffing some in a chew toy and freezing it, or add some on top of kibble for a dinnertime dessert.
Never feed your dog:
- Chocolate, coffee, macadamia nuts, grapes, raisins and avocados. These are all toxic for your dog.
Notice that we do not mention table scraps. Slipping your dog too much people food can disrupt his nutritional balance, causing your dog to get fat. Also, some human foods can be toxic for your pet. Treats should never be more than 10% of your dog's diet.
Shop healthy treats for your dog >